Author Archives: John McClintock

Food reserves in the Caribbean

We have been studying how to set up a food reserve in the Eastern Caribbean. John spent two weeks in May, at the invitation of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS), at its headquarters in St. Lucia. The OECS brings together 10 small island states from the British Virgin Islands in the north to…   Read more

Post Tagged with , , ,
Read more

ACTION has been making progress on two fronts

We have been hard at work trying to get a resolution through EuroLat, the parliamentary assembly that contains both representatives of the European Parliament and of the various regional parliaments in Latin America (such as PARLACEN, PARLANDINO…..). The resolution will be voted on later this year, but we already have a statement of support from…   Read more

Read more

Global lunch, Nov 2016

Post Image

ACTION recently organised one of its ‘global lunches’ in Kitty O’Shea’s, a lively establishment next to the main EU institutions, named after the famous lady whose affair with the Irish nationalist politician Charles Stewart Parnell scandalised Victorian Britain. About a dozen people attended and the discussion was equally lively – perhaps ACTION manages to create…   Read more

Read more

ACTION and BREXIT, Sept 2016

Many articles have been written about Britain’s referendum vote on June 23rd. A further comment from ACTION must be careful of repeating what has been said already. The result of the vote was 52% in favour of leaving the European Union, with 48% in favour of remaining a member. This is not the place to…   Read more

Read more

ACTION in Lisbon, May 2016

ACTION was very pleased to be invited to participate in a discussion on food reserves in the Assembly of the Republic of Portugal, in Lisbon. The occasion was the meeting of the Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly (EuroLat). This brings together parliamentarians from the European Union and Latin America. It provides a regular opportunity to discuss…   Read more

Read more